Did you know it doesn’t have to be cranberry season to make this Cranberry Orange Bread? You can make it ANY time of year with the little trick I came up with. A lot of grocery stores in my area don’t carry fresh cranberries outside of the holiday season. Some don’t even carry frozen cranberries if you can believe it. So, when I found myself in a pickle searching for some cranberries in the store, I turned to the one aisle that never lets me down: canned goods.
That’s right, the cranberries you see mixed into this bread were entirely canned. I know what you’re thinking. Canned cranberries usually come in a weird jelly sauce form. While this is totally true, I found that if you simply pour the contents of the canned cranberries into a colander and run them under cold water mixing with your hands, the thick sauce will wash away. You’ll be left with an abundance of perfectly good cranberries that you can use for baking!
For those that are curious, here are some of the awesome products I used to make this recipe:
I’ve used both fresh and canned cranberries to make this bread and the results are the same every time. Once the bread is baked, you won’t be able to tell the difference between what kind of cranberries were used. The result is a moist, sweet loaf of bread that you can eat for breakfast or use to satisfy that sweet tooth! Cranberry and Orange is such a classic taste combination that you have to experience to understand. Go ahead and give this Cranberry Orange Bread recipe a try and let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER SWEET DESSERTS NEXT!
Cranberry Orange Bread Recipe
Cranberry and Orange is such a classic taste combination that you have to experience to understand. This recipe yields a moist, sweet loaf of bread that you can eat for breakfast or use to satisfy that sweet tooth!
2 cups flour
¾ cups granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup melted butter
¼ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbs orange zest
2 cups fresh cranberries (or canned cranberries that are rinsed clean)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment paper, then grease the pan all over
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar and baking soda together
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter, milk, eggs, vanilla, orange juice and orange zest until well combined and smooth
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat with a mixer until well combined
- Fold the cranberries into the batter with a spoon until evenly distributed
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly
- Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour (or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean)
- Let cool before slicing. Serve and enjoy!